Friday, April 20, 2007

The mind is an amazing thing...

I had been doing the couch to five 5k running plan (http://www.coolrunning.com), and moving along swimmingly. Then something happened in week nine...I hit a wall! It was awful. For the last 2 weeks, I have been struggling to get to even the smallest distance on my runs. I was pooping out before 1 mile. I knew I had run further than that. I knew I was capable of it, but I just couldn't convince my mind of that. I am training for a 5k in May, so I don't have a lot of time, and this was making me very nervous.

But something happened today. I don't know what it was. I just got on the treadmill and went. I zoned out for a bit, and before I knew it, I was a mile and a half into my run. It felt so good to run like that again. So, now, I can go back to adding distance. I feel so relieved. It's just amazing to me what your mind can do to you. It's also amazing that sometimes the best thing to do is to take your mind out of the game and just be. Sounds cheesy to me, but it's true. I just had to remove my brain from the equation, and things started to click. I'm over the wall!

B-quaker oatmeal, skim milk
S-EAS shake, almonds, orange
L-salsa chicken, brown rice, salad
S-dannon light & fit, fiber one
D-boca burger with ketchup and relish, soy crisps, salad
S-94% ff popcorn, grapes

Target points-31
Actual points-36
Activity-run and abs/core day (6 AP's)
Water-140 oz

1 comment:

Trish said...

Rho -

I so hear you girl!! I get to those sticking points every few weeks - it seems like you just can't do what you've been doing all along. Then, a few days later - BANG! You've done it! I think of it as my body going to the next level. Be proud - you've earned it!

Trish