Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Best Laid Plans...

It's Independence Day! This year instead of the usual barb-b-q, we decided to take the kids to a children-friendly amusement park in PA, called Dutch Wonderland. I hadn't been there since I was a kid myself, and I thought that it would be fun for my 3 year old to have a run at all the games and rides that he wanted.

So, I decided to be proactive. I looked on the website of the park to see if they had any info on what kind of food they had at the park. It was a pleasant surprise when I found that they had "healthy fare" choices there. I looked at all my options and even mapped out what restaurant I would have my lunch. I packed myself some snacks, ate a nice healthy breakfast, and headed out to the park.

When it was time for lunch, we all went to the place that I had already scoped out. I picked out my salad, but was deeply disturbed to find that although they had salads and fruit and the like, they didn't have any low cal options for salad dressing. I didn't even have to have low fat. I just needed at least low cal. Not an option. So, I decided to try the salad dry. I just couldn't do it. So, I decided to get one small packet and use the dressing sparingly. That was ok. Then, there were absolutely NO protein choices that were even somewhat appetizing for me.

Well, I had my lunch, but the lack of protein and grains left me starving, and without good choices. So, I ended up doing horribly at the park. I had a funnel cake. It ended up making me totally sick, so I spent the rest of the time in the park regretting my choice. I also couldn't eat any dinner because my stomach was just torn up.

I learned my lesson though. The next time I will just pack a cooler and eat my lunch in our car and return to the park. I didn't get a chance to get any AP's in, so I just have to suck up all those points. *sigh* Tomorrow it's back to Core!

B-oatmeal, skim milk
S-none
L-salad with dressing (5 points), grapes, apples,
S-celery and carrots
S-funnel cake (20 points)

Water-100 oz
Activity-none
WPA's used-25 points

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Jerkey is a great, easy and convenient snack to take with you to parks. I did this when Adam was here and we went to the water park. Also, some nuts would be good too, smuggle them in your purse or bag and have it with your salad.
Great job though, all in all.