Sunday, March 25, 2007

Am I selfish?

I asked myself that question a million times today when I was working out. I like to work out in the morning while everyone is still sleeping, but this morning I woke up with a migraine, so I took some motrin and went back to sleep. So, I was a couple hours off schedule when I finally did get up. I had to go to the grocery store and then get dinner started since I was putting it in the crockpot.

When I finally did get to work out, it was 5:30 pm. I smuggled myself down to the basement, and started my work out. I could hear my son screaming for me. He wanted me to come and get him, but I can't because he messes with the treadmill, and I don't want him to get hurt. My husband is upstairs with him, so he's being taken care of, but he just wants to be down there with me cuz he knows that he's not allowed right now. So, I just kept wondering if it's selfish of me to take this time for myself so that I can workout. As a mother it's so hard for me to put my needs first, especially to do so without guilt. What am I missing during that hour? It may not sound like a lot of time, but over the days, weeks, months, and years, it really does add up. I think that is going to be the hardest thing for me to deal with during this journey. It's hard to accept that it's OK to put myself first for a bit. I am getting healthy for my kids, so ultimately this will benefit them...I hope.

B-oatmeal, skim milk, 1 cup grapes
S-100 cal pack peanut butter cookie thins (I was out, and hungry...didn't plan well enough)
L-boca burger, salad, 2 wasa rye crackers, 1 wedge laughing cow cheese
S-chocolate milk, orange (after workout)
D-peking pork chop (yummy!) 3 oz, 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 cup string beans
S-1 cup unsweetend apple sauce
S-klondike slim a bear ice cream sandwich (first ice cream since starting ww 10 weeks ago)

Target points 32
Points used 34
Activity: c25k + fast walk for 1 hour (6 AP's)
Water 136 oz

1 comment:

Trish said...

Rho -

I can relate to your feelings and have gone down this road. Actually, I still go down this road daily. I usually go to workout after they go to bed because I feel guilty that I work all day and haven't spent enough time with them.

I have learned - and I keep reminding myself! - that I am a much better parent BECAUSE I take care of myself. And my kids are so proud of me. They are 6 and 8 and love telling everyone about their mom's weight loss and fitness journey.

It's still hard, but I think in the end it's good for me and for them. At least I hope!!